Tom Bean Independent School District of Innovation Plan
In 2015, the 84th Legislature passed HB 1842, which included provisions to allow Texas school districts who are in good academic standing (rated at least “Met Standard” by the Texas Accountability System) to become Districts of Innovation (DOI). Under a DOI plan, a traditional school district may access many of the flexibilities that are available to open-enrollment charter schools in Texas.
Despite its name, this designation does not allow TBISD to be overly innovative or to make changes in areas related to curriculum, graduation requirements, governance, academic and financial accountability and much more.
The goal of the Tom Bean ISD District of Innovation Plan would be to enhance local control and give the district greater flexibility to implement strategies and innovation that support the Board’s mission, vision and goals, based on community and internal stakeholder input.
On October 16, 2017, the Board of Trustees of the Tom Bean Independent School District adopted a resolution to direct the administration of TBISD to explore the opportunity to designate itself a District of Innovation. The Board then held a public hearing, November 13, 2017, on the topic and voted to pursue a District of Innovation designation. The board also approved a DOI Planning Committee.
The DOI planning Committee includes representatives from TBISD operations and the local community. The Committee began its work on November 15, 2017 to review several “innovations” that could potentially be included in the plan.
After studying potential innovations, the committee identified and voted to include the following areas as innovations in the District of Innovation Plan:
- Flexible School Start Date
- Early Release Days Allowance without State Waiver
- Revocation of Transfer Students for Discipline and Poor Attendance
- Extension of Probationary Contracts for New Employees
The Committee met again on November 29, 2017 and reviewed a draft of the plan for final approval before public viewing on the Tom Bean ISD Website.
The final meeting of the Committee was held January 3, 2018. The Committee approved the proposed plan that will be presented to the Board of Trustees on January 15, 2018 for final approval.
- Monday, October 16, 2017 - School Board Meeting - The Board of Trustees approves a resolution to hold a public hearing to discuss the possibility of using HB 1842 to become a District of Innovation.
- Monday, November 13, 2017 - The school board held a public hearing to explain and discuss the possibility of becoming a District of Innovation.
- Monday, November 13, 2017 - The Tom Bean ISD Board of Trustees approved a motion to pursue a District of Innovation Plan. The board also approved the members for the District of Innovation Committee.
- Wednesday, November 15, 2017 and Wednesday, November 29, 2017 - The District of Innovation Committee met to begin discussions to develop and then to finalize a District of Innovation Plan. The meeting agendas and minutes are posted below.
- Friday, December 1, 2017 - The district plan was posted on the TBISD Website.
- Wednesday, January 3, 2018 - The District of Innovation Committee voted to accept the final plan.
- Monday, January 15, 2018 - The Tom Bean ISD Board of Trustees voted to approve the District of Innovation Plan.
November 15, 2017 DOI Committee Meeting
November 29, 2017 DOI Committee Meeting
January 3, 2018 DOI Committee Meeting